In 2014 I spent a few weeks in Europe visiting Belfast, Dublin, Paris, and London. I visited many cultural and historical sites and look forward to sharing these experiences with students.
In 2013 I was selected to be part of a study tour to Germany with the Goethe Instutitute where we visited schools, universities, businesses, government, and historical landmarks. That Spring I was in Rio de Janeiro, Brazil working with a few schools there. In the summer of 2012 I was part of a study tour to India with the Teachers for Global Classrooms program, to study culture, history, and global education issues. In 2011 I spent three weeks on a study tour in South Korea with a Fellowship from the Korea Society in New York. I also spent some time in a school in Bogota, Colombia working with teachers and students there. It was my second time in Colombia after leading a student and teacher workshop in Pereira, Colombia over our Fall Break in October of 2010.
During the summer of 2010, I spent three weeks in Japan through the National Consortium for Teaching About Asia. I learnined a lot about Japan's culture and history that I will share with my students and colleagues. In 2007 I participated in a similar program to China, allowing me to make some unique comparisons.
In past school years I also participated in a program through the US State Department to host visiting teachers in my classroom. In the fall I worked with a teacher from India and in the winter I worked with a teacher from El Salvador. As part of this program I was also able to travel to Colombia in South America and lead a workshop for teachers and students there. I learned a lot and had some great experiences that I work to share with my colleagues and students.
These experiences help me bring the world to my students and prepare them to be leaders on the global stage in the 21st Century.
- 2003-Present: North Star High School
- 1999-2003: Dawes Middle School
- 2017: ELL Certification- Concordia University
2007: Masters of Liberal Arts in History
- Nebraska Wesleyan University
2002: Masters of Education-Curriculum and Instruction
- University of Nebraska
1999: Bachelors of Secondary Education (Social Studies)
- University of Nebraska
1994: High School Diploma
- Lincoln Northeast High School
- Goethe Institute Study Tour to Germany-2013
- International Partnership in Brazil-2013
- Teachers for Global Classrooms Program-India 2012
- Visiting Teacher in Bogota, Colombia 2011
- Korea Society Fellowship in South Korea 2011
- Teacher/Student Workshop Leader in Pereira, Colombia 2010
- NCTA Study Tour to Japan 2010
- 2009 Distinguished Teacher Award from the National Council for Geographic Education
- 2009 Outstanding Teacher Award for the 1st Congressional District from the Nebraska State Council for Social Studies
- NCTA Summer Study Tour to China 2007
- Foreign Policy Association- Great Decisions Teacher Training (New York)
- Great Plains AP Summer Institute (World History)
- AP World History Exam Reading
- Nebraska Dep. of Ed. International Education Symposium
- LPS World Studies Curriculum Development (CCIP)
- Presenter: College Board AP Equity Colloquium (Atlanta)
- Presenter: College Board National AP Forum (New York)
- Presenter: Nat. Council for Geographic Ed. National Conf. (Birmingham)
- Steering Committee- Geographic Educators of Neb. (GEON)
- World History Association
- National Council for the Social Studies (NCSS)